Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Aloha! It's Banner Time!

Aloha!  It's Banner Time! 

My friend is moving to another program.  I have worked with her for years and we have shared our crafting stories, we have run ideas by each other, and she has always been there to encourage me to get off the couch and craft.  She isn't moving far but I already miss her.  I created a banner for her farewell party.  Aloha means Hello and Goodbye.  I know this isn't goodbye yet! :) 

I was inspired by a post on Pinterest.  It was slightly different than mine with the shape of the banner, colors and decorations but the idea was a great one and it inspired me to create this banner.  I started with 12x12 pieces of silver cardstock.  This was actually cardstock I used for my wedding so it had a little bit of sentimental value to it.  I cut the banner shapes using an upside down tag.  I was able to cut two to a page on my Silhouette Cameo machine. 

Next, I created an inlay version of the flipped tag in aquamarine.  Both of these are very heavy cardstocks which I thought would make the banner nice and sturdy. I attached the two together with Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive.

Then I cut out the scales (or waves) on a 12x12 sheet of cardstock.  This was normal cardstock and I had a few problems with it as I cut.  It seemed the first paper I used was not thick and it ended up tearing when the machine was trying to make these precise cuts. I ended up using a thicker cardstock and slowing the speed down which increasing the pressure of the blade.  I used a semi new mat as well so the paper wouldn't move. I also attached this one using the Scotch glue.  



Next, I cut out the letters.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to back them on pink or gold and since my go to person was the person this banner was for, I called my other trusty craft friend and we decided gold suited my friend better than pink.  I'm glad too because I really have a thing for gold right now. The letters were cut using core'dinations Carmaker Series pearls.  The paper is made by Darice and is called Starlight Pearl.  It has a subtle pattern to it. 

You can see below how I was playing with the colors to see which to go with. :) 




I then cut out a few turtles in different sizes with my Silhouette Cameo machine. I loved how they looked but I still thought the banner needed a little bit more. 


So I added some sparkle!  Yup, I hand glued on the sequins for a little shine! 


I decided to cut a few star fish and sea shells as well to add to the banner.  Each piece of the banner has sequins on it as well as either a sea shell, star fish, turtle or flower.  I really hope she likes it!  (Sorry for the junk in the background, I had to work on the floor since the desk wasn't big enough!)


Hope you have a wonderful day!  Go out there and create beautiful things! :) Thanks for stopping by!

Post note....she hung it in her new office!  yay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment