Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Texture Paste

Hi and thanks for stopping by today! I wanted to share with you my first experience with texture paste so here's a card I made using texture paste to create the background.


I recently purchased a few different texture pastes.  Cards with texture, dimension and of course shimmer always appeal to me so I thought I'd try out a new technique. I have to say, I LOVE IT!
I will review the others as I use them in projects. 



The first one I tried was this texture paste from Ranger.  It comes in two sizes, I purchased the larger size which is 3.9 oz.  I didn't know how much paste is needed for one background so I figured I'd go large! To me it smells like paint when you open up the bottle and looks like marshmallow fluff! I like that this one is white, I figured I could combine it with some color if I wanted different colors. Although when you mix it with color, you can't put it back if you make too much.  I have seen a few brands out there as well as some that are already mixed. which I think if you use a color a lot, would be a great purchase since you can put the excess back in the jar and have less waste.  


I decided for this background to mix my texture paste with some Tim Holtz Distressed Ink.  The four I used were Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry, Shaded Lilac and Seedless Preserves.   Working on my Heidi Swapp craft mat, I dabbed the ink pads onto the mat and then added the texture paste to the color. 


Using a spatula, I mixed the Distressed ink with the texture paste to get the color I wanted.  If it was too dark, I added more texture paste.  If it was to light, I'd once again add color to my mat and mix it into the paste. Once I got the colors I wanted, it was time to create my background. 


I started by taping my white cardstock down to my craft mat with some double sided adhesive, not too much, just enough so it didn't move.  Then i used painters tape to tape the stencil down to the paper and mat.  I gently spread the texture paste into the stencil and evened it off on top.  You have to work fairly quickly so that the texture paste doesn't dry to your tools.  I started in the left hand corner with my lightest pink and worked my way into the darker pink.  Then i started in with the purples.  I think if I were to do this combination again, I would try to blend the colors together more so there wasn't a defined line where I switched them out.  
Once you have all the texture paste down, clean your tools quickly.  I ran my stencil under cold water and the paste came off very easily. 


This was what my panel came out looking like.  As you can see there were spots where my stencil lifted and the paste got into areas it shouldn't have been.  This wasn't too bad for this project since I was able to cover up most of the messy spots.  I trimmed down the paper to fit an A2 card base. 




Next I heat embossed the words Happy Birthday on the same color pink card stock paper as I used for the background. I cut the ends into a banner style so it gave the sentiment a little character. I added it to my card using foam squares to give it some dimension.  


I punched some hearts out of card stock in pink and purple.  I glued them down using Scotts glue and colored a few with the clear Wink of Stella brush pen.  Then I added Glossy Accents to all the hearts to give them some shine. I also added my little girl from the Gorjuss collection that I had stamped and colored using Copic markers (see Gorjuss post for more details.) 



Here is my finished project!  I really enjoyed using the texture paste. I love how easily it blended with the distress inks and I'm sure practice makes perfect, so I will continue to work on my technique.  I also liked that the texture paste sits on top of the paper and adds some dimension to the cards.  It does make the card a little heavier but the look makes it worth it.  

Thanks for stopping by! :) I hope you have a wonderful day and go out there and craft something pretty! :) 








No comments:

Post a Comment